How to unzip and install a tar.gz file in Linux

Hi everyone, this week in our Linux page we have posted an effective article about unzipping and installing tar.gz files in Linux. We hope you will appreciate this simple but useful post for Linux beginners and ..please.., as usual, write us comments if you need more information or you want to suggest us something useful. Thanks everybody! AddThis

159 thoughts on “How to unzip and install a tar.gz file in Linux

1. Kiari

OK to open a Terminal window go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal (or change the shortcut in System ->Administration -> Keyboard shortcuts, mine is set to “Crtl”, “Alt” and “t”)

Once the terminal is open you can just type in the commands.
    If you need to change things through the ‘root’ -> Type sudo nautilus, “enter” then type your root password.
    This takes you into the root system.

To install packages (eg. .debs) once in root ( as above) go to File System ->Var ->Cache -> apt -> Archives and then paste the new files you have just downloaded.

Go back to the Terminal and type “sudo apt-get update”
    This will install the new packages

(sorry to anyone who doesnt understand this. If you still need more help plz feel free to contact me via MSN or email @ Darkangelchick666@hotmail.com and ill help as much as I can)

2. shishir

hi, i am using RHE-5 as my opereting system.i download cbq bandwidth manager tar file but i can’t able to install and operate it. please help me for install and operate cbq software.

3. Anonymous

yes, misleading title, thanks to everyone trying to help. i got an eee for over a month now and still trying to figure out how stuff works. i got easypeasy which has three(!) ways to install software, none of which able to open a tar.gz file which is lying freshly on the desktop. executing stuff in the terminal produces errors which i cant read cause it closes after executing. where did it install? why all the folders have jut three cryptic letters… whaaaaaa…!!

this systems makes me crazy. and i do put LOTS of effort in reading FAQs & forums and all that. but linux is faar from being intuitive whatsoever.. sorry but i am really frustrated cause i was searching now for almost 1 hour to just install a program. why isnt it possible to just click sth. and have it working?

4. Anonymous

You know what? i bet that samuel (the orginal person who asked how to unzip a TAR file) never got the answer he was looking for even though he asked it in 2006

5. anonymous

you know what i bet that samuel (the orginal person who asked how to unzip a TAR file) never got the answer he was looking for even though he asked it in 2006

6. baronjj

Hey everyone, why all the complaining? Some of you are the types who give Windows users bad reputations.

Anything worth having, knowing, doing, takes time and effort. If you really want to learn Linux (Ubuntu or others) it will take time. Yes, you do have to hunt for answers but that is what adds to the learning experience. Finding help in forums and blogs by searching the web takes time but when that effort is put forth, the payoff in knowledge gained is well worth it.

If there is one thing that I have learned about Linux, it is that the community of users are top-notch and always willing to help (provided they receive the respect that ALL people should be given). Quit griping, cursing, etc. and roll your sleeves up and do a little work.

7. baronjj

Oh, by the way, a little effort (see previous post) would have revealed that by clicking the link titled “install tar.gz” would take you to the following page:

The second link is titled “How-To Session: (Part 1 of Series) How to Install any Application: Ubuntu”:

There is the information that we have all been desperately seeking!

8. Lacine

You can type all those command in a command line. You can access the command line of the machine where you installed linux version.
    To do that, you need to download putty to access the command line.
    And once you have putty running, check ssh and type the ip address of your server.

9. Lacine

Hi Cautam,

What is your operating system? I assume you want to install it on linux os. In that case, you need to create a directory for that file on your linux machine. Once the directory is created, you will have to transfer the file into that directory. You can use winscp to do that.
    Then cd into that directory and typ tar -xzvf filename-?.?.?.tar.gz

10. Dhananjay

hello,
    i m novice user for ubuntu.
    plz tell me how to install tar, tar.gz packges in ubuntu.

11. treeon

man, im tryna untar/zip files on my pre. i know its linux and i have a terminal,but some of the commands dnt work. does anyone know anything that could help me????? thanx

1. wisdom m mlevu

did u find any help could u plz help me i have alot of linux software with the same targe but i dont know how to install them

1. Http://Www.Youtube.Com/Watch?V=SUNvQxn4MO0

Howdy would you mind letting me know which hosting company you’re working with?

I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different web
        browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot
        quicker then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a
        reasonable price? Thanks, I appreciate it!

12. Lathu

hi,
    I am newly to linux.I downloaded samba file but i am not able to install the file since it is a zip file.can any one can help me in this?

13. wisdom m mlevu

hi i need help in how to use TV card tuner in my pc it was working with windows but in ubuntu reloaded is not even being detected help pl z. Also i need to install office 2010 with wine but it give an error massage of a file missing.

14. Marvin

The answer for all this is to use the Latest Mandriva PWP (powerpack) with the URPMI installer or Debian Linux which is also supposed to have a good RPM installer and lots of Useful packages. These 2 distributions try to stay up to date and even on the cutting edge. Mandriva has many of these things that install right out of the box or install for (Free Version). Mandriva is the distribution I recommend for anyone switching from Windows. I personally run Mandriva 2010.2 PWP on one drive and WinXP pro on another. Mandriva does have most of the normal things solved like Java & Flash plus alot of good browser plug-ins, but for games, even Open Arena (a first person shooter) that Mandriva supports, there are numerous problems. (Crashes, No sound etc.) When all the tar-ballers catch up to RPM then maybe things will come together and Their will be game support as well as other good software that WORKS. I have used Linux for years, Suse,Redhat,Mandrake/Mandriva,Ubuntu and others, but Mandriva seems to stand above the others and keep all the windows users from spending frustrating hours in front of a Linux Console and searching the internet for information from folks who assume that you know basic stuff. If you want to switch from Windows then go to Mandriva…. It will save you alot of pain & frustration! + hours on the internet forums looking for information or programs that might or might not work…. and then there is that console you have to wrestle with. I have been building and using computers since the DOS UNIX days. I firmly believe EASIER is BETTER!! You can learn the basics for command line use later if your interested. That’s why people still stick with Windows even with Microsoft’s pirate policies that severely penalize their legal customers, and their $300 or more for their updates. With the release of Windows 7…. Linux has a great future if only the different distros will co-operate.

15. Pingback: 2010 in review – Not bad… « Computer Borders

16. steven shearing

linux should create a way to inall all file types with a both a gui or command line.
    many people dont even know how to use windows and yet people expect them to learn command lines, its just stupid.

who ever makes linux easy wins the distro war, you cant expect people to learn a new syetem, some people may say ok fair but many will just pick a windows or mac because lets face it its more easy. In windows/mac you can install with a gui or command line.

time linux user’s created a linux not for geeks

17. tim

Hello, have downloaded two archives, a .tar.gz, and a.zip file. Am wondering exactly how to go about unpacking/installing one of the directories from with in the terminal. since python states it is the latest version, and is set to manual install, am thinking there is a script that maybe I don’t have installed, that will take rsgclientLinux1.21Patch.zip, unpack the files, then proceed to install the associated client. Same with the .tar.gz file, called daisyPlayer6.4tar.tar. thanks for any help. On a side note, I am a blind user, have been using windows for years, unix/Linux distros for about the past 3 of those years, and personally, in some instances, I find a CLI//commandLineInterface, more intuitive, and less flustering then a GUI. But I do agree, Linux tends to throw some novis users, or non tech savvy users “to the wolves” if you will. I do agree with Marvin’s post, and adding to it, in a nutshell, windows does to much hand holding.. lol, but, am not sure how Mandriva is from an accessibility standpoint. A handfull of most Distros now days, debian, fadora, Opensuse, Ubuntu so far I am aware of are the only distributions to come with a screen reader, primarily, Orca. Thanks again for any help, will keep hunting, hell its probably something quite simple nice script I am missing.

18. sachin kumar

i have install ncview software but there will be create a problem in install tar.gz file. it is show the error below.
    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
    what is this error?

19. Ron

It takes an extra few seconds, and if you got off your lazy pampered Windows ass and actually learned something, you’d realize it’s not that hard!
    ——–

“A few seconds!” Ive been trying for hours to install a simple flash update that normally takes 2 minutes to do on Windows (and I’m a PC repair tech).

You guys ARE crazy. Thats why Linux/Ubuntu will always be in the geek minority. You expect newbie users to revert to using tactics and install codes that Windows users left behind over 15 years ago.

Guys, get a grip and incorporate exe. style install procedures, please.

20. how to build a pc

We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your website offered us with useful information to work on. You’ve performed an impressive task and our entire neighborhood shall be grateful to you.

21. laurie

it would be very nice if some of the repliers would use proper language..it is so sad that these people must use their LIMITED vocabulary ..their mothers must be proud of them…keep your comments clean..if you can’t say anything good…do not say anything at all..it is better to be a fool in the eyes of some then to open your mouth and proove it to all MERRY XMAS TO ALL

22. Anonymous

I can’t understand how they can make samba-3.6.0 available and leave out the how to install and where to find the files to install it, they just give out stupid information about who contribute to it and the great features. But they never consider the fact that one has to install it before it’s useful..

23. Technology News

Thanks for another excellent post. The place else may anybody get that kind of information in
    such an ideal manner of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such info.

24. Head not stuck up my ass

Only an asshole could use this OS. How to install software… SIMPLY OPEN YOUR BASH SHELL, TYPE A DOZEN ARCANE COMMANDS, AND YOU’RE GOOD TO GO! Because FREEDOM! So much MORE FREE than Windows, where’s you’re FORCED into the BONDAGE of CHILD SLAVERY-LIKE conditions of DOUBLE-CLICKING A GODDAMN FILE TO INSTALL SHIT.

1. Anonymous

Nice one dude! Y”know this thread has been running for a couple of years now and No one has managed to provide a simple easy to follow explanation of how to install tar ball’s. I gave up on this arcane, command line crap system after numerous attempts to install tar files and judging by the snotty, self centred, egotistical replies I received from the “so called” experts, I’m pleased I did!
      Crap system, crap support and crap commands. No wonder it’ll only ever be used by a minority!

1. www.youtube.com

fantastic publish, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector don’t
      understand this. You should proceed your writing.
      I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!

25. Henry

This allows an individual to have the power to look for a video file, music file, application
    file or every one of the above. Whether you use it at home,
    at college or at the office Ubuntu contains all of the applications you’ll ever need, from word processing
    and email applications, to web server software and programming tools.
    Marc Cuban is rolling out a whole new movie theatre model
    like those that are springing up over the country.

26. torrentman.com

This was obviously a good sign, even as we hadn’t supposed to find quite definitely fine gold within the stone.
    –LINK REMOVED –>Grammy Nominations 2011<. Juni, als Bombenanschläge in Kathmandu und anderen Städten Nepals acht Tote und 22 Verletzte forderten.

1. Youtube.Com

I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else
      know such detailed about my difficulty. You are amazing!
      Thanks!

27. Horse transport Cambridge

A superior tow corporation will also have moral values and
    want their purchasers to be safe and sound, so they would not employ a particular person convicted of a significant crime.
    Living without a horsebox or trailer can be frustrating, especially if you are used to having one
    but for some reason circumstances dictate that you can no longer afford it.
    Do you quote an exact total total price prior to performing the
    tow.

28. reservoir tarantino cult classic

Much has been said and written about the crimes committed
    by the aborigines from the white man, however it needs to be
    remembered how the blacks got great provocation. His fee was 110 guineas,
    and that from the hotelkeeper was 30 guineas. Good fishing ended up being to be had in this
    river all of the all year round, even during flood-time,
    so when water was clear fish might be seen taking the bait in a depth of 10 feet.

29. Youtube.Com

Great blog right here! Additionally your website quite a bit up fast!

What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink for your host?
    I want my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

30. canon camcorder battery

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your blog and wanted
    to mention that I have really loved surfing around your weblog posts.
    In any case I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon!

31. minecraft

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find
    It really useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something
    back and aid others like you helped me.

32. Youtube.Com

Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave
    it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and
    screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!

33. PhotonVPS Coupons

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is
    just nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.

Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to
    keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.