….Despite the costs, publishers and advertisers are already buying in. The New York Times has a VR Editor, CNN has streamed political debates in VR, and USA Today Network has produced over 40 pieces of VR content since 2014.
The rise in platforms supporting 360-degree video has also upped the appeal for virtual reality. YouTube’s 360-degree video channel launched just over a year ago and has over one million subscribers. Facebook supports 360 video now, as well.
After I installed some new software I wasn’t able to update Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. The Update Manager was not able to check for updates and when I tried to use the Synaptic Package Manager I hadn’t better results. A reboot was not the right solution and I tested different ways to solve my problem saving the Ubuntu installation in my computer.
Searching on internet I discovered that there are few possible solution to avoid this problem and, in case you have the same bug on your computer, I decided to sum-up the most powerful after I successfully tried them.
First of all you can try to force the update process through the Terminal typing:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade
If this doesn’t work you will try with this next step:
sudo rm var/lib/dpkg/lock sudo dpkg --configure -a
Then launch again the Update Manager to verify if you succeed and if nothing happened solve the matter typing:
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf sudo apt-get update
and try again to launch the Update Manager.
In my case this was enough to restore all the Update Manager features and solve the problem. If you have extra problems about this bug or if you want to suggest alternative solutions, please, don’t hesitate to comment this post.
Christmas time is ending and today we really don’t know how many relatives used out computer for “just few minutes” or “to quickly (sic) check the emails”. In few words, our Linux PC could have been overstuffed with unwanted temporary files and we haven’t had time to update it. So, it’s time to clean-up!!
First of all I suggest to use BleachBit because, for my experience, it’s the most powerful software to clean temporary files, log files and unwanted traces on your computer. BleachBit is easy to use and, as we described in previous post, very effective.
Then we have to check if our system is really updated so we can use the usual ways as Synaptics Package Manager or quickly run a some simple commands through Terminal to update, upgrade and remove old packages or Kernel.
For this purpose I collected three simple commands and chained them in a single line:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove
In this way you will be sure that you can start again to work on your Ubuntu as before the Christmas time!
At the end I decided! I want to uninstall OpenOffice on my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and substitute it with an always updated LibreOffice. After some researches on the web I decide to develop my own procedure to be sure that LibreOffice will be always updated with the last available edition.
First of all it is necessary to remove OpenOffice:
– go to System –> Administration –> Synaptic Package Manager –> Quick Search and type OpenOffice
– Mark for Complete Removal all the installed OpenOffice software and Apply your choice, then exit the program
Now, open Terminal and add the PPA repository:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
Update the system:
sudo apt-get update Last but not least, go back to Synaptic Package Manager –> Quick Search and type LibreOffice
Select the LibreOffice software and all the add-ons you prefer then Apply your choice.
Sopcast represents one of the most popular technologies for live TV streaming, being based on the famous p2p system. However, until recently, there was no version of this software for Ubuntu and Linux in general. But now every single user can enjoy live TV right on their desktop or laptop computer with this absolutely amazing program.
In order to install Sopcast on your machine, here is what you need to do:
1. Open a new terminal. This is a classic step and is used in most of the installation processes you will encounter in Ubuntu.
3. The next step is related to the update of the sources list. This can be done with the following command, which needs to be typed into the same terminal in order to achieve the right effects:
sudo apt-get update
4. Now you will need to run Synaptic in order to finalize the process. This is usually done through the System menu (System -> Administration -> Synaptic). Alternatively, you can use the following simple command:
5. Look for the Sopcast package and install it. A very important step at this point is to not forget about all its dependencies. If you do not install everything, then Sopcast will not run correctly or not at all.
This is basically all you need to know if you want to install Sopcast on your machine. Whenever you need to run the player you can find it in the Application menu -> Multimedia -> Sopcast. You will surely enjoy the great variety of the channels available for every user through this system.
Inkscape is an open-source SVG editor with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, Visio, etc. Supported SVG features include basic shapes, paths, text, alpha blending, transforms, gradients, node editing, svg-to-png export, grouping, and more. Its main motivation is to provide the Open Source community with a fully XML, SVG, and CSS2 compliant SVG drawing tool.
These are the founding goals for Inkscape:
– Full SVG (plus XML, CSS2) compliance
– Core written in C/C++
– Gtk-based user interface following the standards set out in the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines (HIG)
– Emphasis on a small core and extensibility. Usually Inkscape’s extensions are always first-class so we can say “no” to features in the core without guilt.
– Open, community-oriented development processes
– Baseline is the Sodipodi Hydra codebase
Where a better solution cannot be found, default to the way Illustrator does it.
- Installing on Ubuntu Linux
Probably the easiest way to install on Ubuntu is to use the apt command.
Open a terminal and type;
sudo apt-get update (enter)
sudo apt-get install inkscape (enter)
- Ubuntu Linux Development Versions
As it approaches release, nightly i386 and AMD64 builds of the latest Inkscape development version are provided at http://ubuntu.cafuego.net. On that site, one should select the appropriate Ubuntu or Debian release, then the Inkscape link, and finally the provided package.